Updated: Dec 6, 2017
The brew team at Kyoto Brewing Co. currently consists of one head brewer and two assistant brewers. The company is looking for a new assistant to join the team as it increases production by approximately 25% in 2018, which includes increasing the availability of bottled beer.
About the Brewing Facilities
- 15 US barrel (1750L) brewhouse
- 7 single batch fermenters, 4 double batch fermenters
- Semi-automated keg washer/filler
- Semi-automated 2-head bottle filler
About the Position
Assistant brewers work as a team alongside the Head Brewer throughout all facets of the beer production process. Daily responsibilities will vary but largely focus on packaging as well as the management of fermentation, wort production, and raw materials. More details regarding the position can be found below.
Since KBC is still small and growing, applicants must be open and willing to be involved in many aspects of the company that may not be connected to their main job or their intended long-term career path in the company. Additionally, the nature of the brewing process requires a great deal of flexibility regarding work hours as well as physical stamina.
Detailed Job Responsibilities
Kegging / Packaging
- Operation of keg washer/filler and bottling machine (includes heavy lifting).
- Moving packaged product to refrigerator via forklift and pallet jack.
- Preparation for kegging and bottling operations, including preparation of packaging materials, securing adequate space in the refrigerator, set up and CIP of machinery, etc.
Brewing and Cellar Operations
- Fermentation management, including daily gravity and pH monitoring, yeast harvesting and control, transfer of beer between tanks, etc.
- CIP procedures on brewhouse and cellar vessels.
- Brew day tasks, including milling, mashing, lauter/sparge management, grain out, wort boiling and cooling, and transfers to fermenters.
Raw Material Procurement and Inventory Management
- Monitoring inventory of raw materials, including malt, hops, chemicals, etc.
- Ordering supplies in a timely manner to ensure that each item is always available.
Brewery Operation Data Management
- Input and tracking of data related to daily brewery operations.
- Preparation and submission of monthly data reports to the tax office.
- Maintaining brewery cleanliness and upkeep.
- General equipment maintenance.
- Following SOP’s effectively.
Key Character Traits
- A positive mental attitude even in the face of setbacks and continually changing schedules.
- Proactive, flexible, and capable of managing multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Strong communication skills and experience working in teams.
- Attention to detail and the ability to take pride in one’s work.
- A high standard of cleanliness and organization.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Must possess a strong interest in craft beer
- Previous experience in brewing a benefit but not required
- Must be physically able to safely lift and carry objects of up to 35kg
- Forklift operator’s license preferred but not required
- Functional ability using Excel, Word, etc
- Japanese language ability: fluent/native
- English language ability: basic reading (speaking ability is preferred but not required)
- University degree preferred but not required
Potential Career Paths at KBC
Employee Benefits and Job Details
- Ideal Start Date: Feb 1st, 2018
- Type: Full-Time (following trial contract)
- Length of contract：Permanent Hire (following initial 6 month trial contract)
- Paid Holidays: Up to 12 days in first year, 14 days in second year
- Other Paid Holidays:
- Year-end（Dec. 31st ~ Jan. 3rd）
- Summer Vacation（3 days off between July to Sept.）
- All national holidays
- Sick Leave: 5 days a year
- Transportation Costs to Work: Covered
How to Apply
Please ensure you do the following when applying for positions at Kyoto Brewing Co. Applicants who fail to observe any of these directives will not be considered for the position.
1. Write a purposeful email to firstname.lastname@example.org
stating which job you are interested in and why you are applying.
2. Attach a current CV or resume.
3. Attach a written statement that is specific to the job opening describing why you think you would be a good match for the position.
4. Include your contact details.
Please DO NOT make any inquiries for current or future positions by phone. If you have a question about the position or the application process, please contact us via email.