Updated: Aug 8, 2018
The brew team at Kyoto Brewing Co. currently consists of one head brewer and three assistant brewers. We are looking for a new assistant to join the team as we look to increase production by approximately 20% in 2019, a large portion of that increase focusing on bottled beer.
Assistant brewers work as a team alongside the Head Brewer throughout all facets of the beer production process. Daily responsibilities will vary but largely focus on packaging as well as the management of fermentation, wort production, and handling of raw materials. More details regarding job responsibilities can be found below. Additionally, since KBC is still small and growing, applicants must have a clear openness and willingness to be involved in many aspects of the company that may not be connected to their main job or their intended long-term career path in the company. Finally, the nature of the brewing process requires a great deal of flexibility regarding work hours as well as physical stamina, including heavy lifting and standing for long periods of time.
About the Brewing Facilities
- 15 US barrel (1750L) brewhouse
- 7 single batch fermenters, 4 double batch fermenters
- Semi-automated keg washer/filler
- Semi-automated 2-head bottle filler
Who We are Looking For
We are looking for applicants with the following character traits:
- Must possess a strong interest in craft beer.
- Strong communication skills, experience working in teams, and ability to work respectfully with all employees regardless of position or experience level.
- A positive mental attitude even in the face of setbacks and continually changing schedules.
- Proactive, flexible, and capable of managing multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Highly organised with great attention to detail.
- A high standard of cleanliness and the ability to take pride in one’s work.
- Ability to find work that focuses on repetition rewarding, while at the same time being capable of analysing processes for potential improvement.
- Must be physically able to safely lift and carry objects of up to 35kg and stand for long periods of time.
- Japanese language ability: native (non-native applicants: JLPT N2 or higher)
- English language ability: basic reading (speaking ability is preferred but not required)
- Functional ability using Excel, Word, etc.
- University degree preferred but not required.
- Previous experience in brewing is a benefit but not required.
- Previous experience with QA/QC or related laboratory techniques, microbiology, organic chemistry, or similar fields is a benefit but not required.
- Previous experience with operating and repairing mechanical devices such as pumps, steam boilers, and electrical equipment is a benefit but not required.
- Forklift operator’s license is a benefit but not required (training provided as needed).
Detailed Job Responsibilities
- A) Operation of keg washer/filler and bottling machine (includes heavy lifting).
- B) Moving packaged product to refrigerator via forklift and pallet jack.
- C) Preparation for kegging and bottling operations, including preparation of packaging materials, securing adequate space in the refrigerator, set up and CIP of machinery, etc.
- Brewing and Cellar Operations
- A) Fermentation management, including daily gravity and pH monitoring, yeast harvesting and control, transfer of beer between tanks, etc.
- B) CIP procedures on brewhouse and cellar vessels.
- C) Brew day tasks, including milling, mashing, lauter/sparge management, grain out, wort boiling and cooling, and transfers to fermenters.
- Raw Materials Procurement and Inventory Management
- A) Monitoring inventory of raw materials, including malt, hops, chemicals, etc.
- B) Ordering supplies in a timely manner to ensure that each item is always available.
- Brewery Operation Data Management
- A) Input and tracking of data related to daily brewery operations.
- B) Preparation and submission of monthly data reports to the tax office.
- A) Maintaining brewery cleanliness and upkeep.
- B) General equipment maintenance.
- C) Following SOP’s effectively.
Potential Career Paths at KBC
Employee Benefits and Job Details
- Ideal Start Date: Feb 1st, 2019
- Type: Direct Contract (with potential to become permanent in the future)
- Length of contract：2019/2/1 - 2019/7/31 (6 months - renewable)
- Work Schedule:
- A) Regular Schedule (mainly): Mon - Fri from 9:00-18:00 (1hr lunch break)
- B) Shift Schedule (sometimes): 9 hour shift between 6:30-22:00 (1hr lunch break)
- C) Paid Holidays: Up to 12 days in first year, 14 days in second year
- A) Year-end（Dec 31st ~ Jan 3rd）
- B) Summer Vacation（3 days off between Jul to Sep）
- C) All national holidays
- Sick Leave: 5 days a year
- Transportation Costs to Work: Covered
- Benefits and Perks:
- A) Health and Social Insurance
- B) Multicultural work environment
- C) Discounts on beer and merchandise
How to Apply
Please ensure you do the following when applying for positions at Kyoto Brewing Co. Applicants who fail to observe any of these directives will not be considered for the position.
1. Write a purposeful email to firstname.lastname@example.org
stating which job you are interested in and why you are applying.
2. Attach a current CV or resume.
3. Attach a written statement that is specific to the job opening describing why you think you would be a good match for the position.
4. Include your contact details.
Please DO NOT make any inquiries for current or future positions by phone. If you have a question about the position or the application process, please contact us via email.